Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pet Hate's "Bad Publicity" - 1984


Here's a record I never seem to find online, although I'm not sure anyone cares other than me, the band, and maybe three other people. Still to this day one of my favorite glam/power-pop records to come out of the UK in the 80's, I'm talking about Pet Hate's "Bad Publicity". Formed from the ashes of Silverwing, Pet Hate's first record "The Bride Wore Red" was followed up by this rarely talked about gem. Not only did they borrow the title of the record from white-clad US rockers Angel, they went one step further and hired the same guy who produced Angel's "Bad Publicity" record. And if you're an Angel fan, you know their record company made them change the original cover of the band strewn about with liquor and chicks....so Pet Hate took that too and made it their cover. I could go on and on about nothing here, but all you need to know is this record is a classic (cover of the Stones' "Street Fighting Man" can be forgiven). But the one track that still gets me to this day is "Girls Grow Up Too Fast", which sounds like it would fit perfectly on Candy's "Whatever Happened to Fun...?" LP. But you really don't care what I think, do you? If you're reading this at all its because you've been searching forever and you just want this damn record. So here it is...

Track Listing:
I'm Not the One
Girls Grow Up Too Fast
Cry of the Wild
Street Fighting Man
She's Got the Action
Stale Lipstick
One Step Ahead
For Sex Sake
Wreck the Radio
Dancing On My Heart
Teenage Party

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/n43g6aMDEo4h3tECFZXLq7BEIeWmp7dnNyi1nnGaSLf

22 comments:

  1. Bloody hell ...cannot believe someone else has heard of Pet Hate. This album came out on white vinyl too. Great songs on this album. These guys supported Hanoi Rocks at Newcastle Mayfair back in the day. Mickey Paris the guitarist used to work in the local butchers for a while after they kicked him out the band. Just before the appeared on TV. They did a friday Rock Show session, some of which I still got on an old cassette somewhere.

    You got the first album??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, just found this, you obviously knew Mickey. I remember when he first got the call to join Pet was over the moon!
      I remember his stories of trying to get down to the guys for rehearsals. Last time I saw him was on stage at the Mayfair supporting Hanoi.
      Any iidea where he is these days

      Delete
    2. Hey, just found this, you obviously knew Mickey. I remember when he first got the call to join Pet was over the moon!
      I remember his stories of trying to get down to the guys for rehearsals. Last time I saw him was on stage at the Mayfair supporting Hanoi.
      Any iidea where he is these days

      Delete
    3. Hey, just found this, you obviously knew Mickey. I remember when he first got the call to join Pet was over the moon!
      I remember his stories of trying to get down to the guys for rehearsals. Last time I saw him was on stage at the Mayfair supporting Hanoi.
      Any iidea where he is these days

      Delete
    4. Any idea where Mickey is nowadays?

      Delete
  2. I do have the first album, which I'll be putting up this weekend. Being in the US, I never got to see them live, this is all I have to remember them by. And Hanoi Rocks is one of my all-time favorites, so I can only imagine how great a show that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this album as well....That makes four of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSnhK3UzMIM

    Contact me through youtube.

    Alistair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi im stuart from pet hate . i have some sound desk recordings of us supporting hanoi from ayr in scotland and i think liverpool. if you would like more info etc contact me at stumacfarlane.com cheers
    stuart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi im Marc from S.Wales UK.i have "girls grow up to fast" on my phone and i got them playing on ECT,taped all the series of that programme.And a guy i work with remembers them to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly such a show of support means someone needs to release both Pet Hate records on CD now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been attempting to replace my vinyl copy of this album with CD format since, well...forever!!! Thank you soooo much for posting this. And, in my searching, believe me when I say that I/we are not alone. I have encountered many others hunting down this gem over the years. Considering that just about EVERYTHING from this era has been released (and, in many cases, re-released, and re-re-released), I can't believe that this album has never seen the light of day. Now, what about Hanover Fist and Pretty Rough...
    MooseMan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great band! I'm listening to "The Bride Wore Red" as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are 2 great albums, i lost mine years ago. a buddy from work turned me onto these guys. he knew i loved hanoi and candy and thunders so he tossed me these lp's to borrow. fucking thanks matey

    ReplyDelete
  11. damn..i first heard this around 86 on a heavy metal records compilation tape which i stole.I didnt know it was punk then and completely could not remember the bands name,but i do rember that the song i loved most on that tape and the one i still remember 24 years later is `wreck the radio'.Needless to say after 1989 it was all punk and hardcore for me,so i guess i was a punk at heart even when i was a metal head!.I cant belive ive found this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny about the cover, because back in the 80's I saw both albums in a record store in Dallas (imports, of course) and thought they looked interesting so I bought them! Ever since I've been forcing people to listen to them whenever I have teenage parties at my place. Tons of fantastic songs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have both albums, and have transfered both from vinyl onto CD. A much underatted band, and they were a great live band. I saw them several times, and also supporting the mighty Hanoi Rocks.
    Does anyone have the Silverwing album or know where I might find a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a mint copy of this record if you are interested

    ReplyDelete